Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Week 6: Video Games for Learning


Let me start off by saying that I think gaming in the classroom can be very beneficial in many different ways.  I know that every educator has their own ideas about gaming and its effectiveness but I can definitely say that I see the benefits of it on a regular basis.

First, I use keyboarding games in my classroom with my sixth grade students. Whenever we finish something early, or have an extra few minutes at the end of class, I direct them to our Moodle page and on the page, I have provided multiple typing games for the kids to practice their keyboarding skills.  Some of the games are really fun, like this racing game, in which students can race against each other or the computer.  One benefit I see on a regular basis is competitiveness.  Many of my kids love competition and use these games as an outlet for that.  They like to play against each other to see who wins and is “better.”  In my opinion, I love that my students are learning without realizing it.  Each time they sit down at a computer to play one of these games, they are refining his or her keyboarding skills and having fun while doing it.

Although the competitiveness can be a good thing, it can also double as a negative implication.  Sometimes, the “friendly” competition evolves into something not so friendly.  I don’t see this happening too often, however, that type of heated rivalry really takes away from the reason why I allow the kids to play the games in the first place.

I think the use of gamification, the leader board, points, etc., provide most students with that intrinsic motivation.  Everyone wants to be recognized for something they do well.  The elements of gamification can provide students with extrinsic motivation to succeed.  If they perform well, that is their reward.  However, a lot of students have the intrinsic motivation to succeed as well.  I think intrinsic motivation is dependent on a number of factors and obviously, differs from child to child, but when it comes to gaming, the intrinsic motivation of success vs. failure is something that is often seen through game play. 

In an article called “Will Gaming Save Education or Just Waste Time?” Kristen DiCerbo, a senior research scientist echoes this notion by saying; “We've been doing [game rewards] for years; referring to the use of tokens, points, and other artifacts that make up the backbone of the gamification movement. For some things – like very rote tasks – and for students who aren't motivated, yes, that does increase kids' general interest in the short term.”

Another benefit of gaming is that students are given a platform in which they can learn by doing.  It helps them problem solve, fail and succeed in a safe environment.  They do not have to worry about making a fool of themselves in front of a class full of their peers, but can explore, fail and succeed in a safe environment that won’t judge them based on their actions.  Like Katie Salen says, “Sometimes, the learner will have to try hundreds of times to find success. You know you are getting better at that particular skill every time you try, and you are learning something about how to solve that particular problem. The failure is productive. Rather than hitting some kind of wall and just stopping – which is what kids tend to experience in the classroom – failure becomes a fantastic thing because it's about iteration and discovery. When I try it again, I am going to apply that particular piece of learning.”

In another article I found about gaming, one benefit that is explored is the benefit of insight into a student’s learning and instantaneous feedback.  Brian Waniewski elaborates by saying,  “Beyond teaching, video games can also offer useful information about how well a child is learning and can even provide helpful visual displays of that information. Video games can also provide instantaneous feedback—typically via scores—that teachers and students can use to determine how well students understand what the games are trying to teach them.”  I know that personally, one thing I struggle with is grading.  With nine different sections, it is hard to find time to grade over 200 papers and keep up with other demands of my job.  Gaming would provide an outlet for students to receive that instantaneous feedback and give me immediate insight into how they are progressing and navigating through their learning.

The aforementioned article also mentions one huge drawback of gaming – cost.  For many districts, extra money is difficult to come by.  The fact that gaming could require different components like “computers, tablets or other specialized technology as well as dedicated Internet servers and other communications systems” would be a huge drawback.  In addition, “they may also be a need for additional infrastructure, personnel and teacher training.  A full, game-infused curriculum could cost millions of dollars and require ongoing support” according to Alan Gershenfeld, co-founder and president of E-Line Media.  That could be a huge downfall for many classrooms teachers who do not have access to these types of technologies. 

With anything in life, there will always be positives and negatives.  But as Katie Salen says, "Play is the way that human beings learn about the world…. That's how we discover how things work." In my opinion, gaming in the classroom has so many benefits to students and teaches them valuable life skills (like problem solving and flexibility) that as long as it is done appropriately and in conjunction with learning goals, the gaming experience can be invaluable.

10 comments:

  1. You echo a lot of points that I also agree with - the most important to me being the idea that students (when gaming) have a safe place to try, succeed, fail, and try again without the social pressure of failing in front of their friends. Even in my school, where we talk heavily about mistakes making new learning, the benefits of failing, and making points to tell kids about our own shortcomings (and how we're alright in spite of them), nobody likes to be take a risk and be wrong. No matter how "okay" it is, it's still a terrible feeling! Games give kids do-overs in a fun, low-stress manner. I think they're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Too many times, kids are so quick to point out faults in each other and I find that to be very problematic. No one wants to look like a failure in front of others! I think it's great you address that with your kids because it's so important! :)

      Delete
  2. Cost seems like a sad reason to not being able to use games in the classroom. I wonder if this could be a rallying cry, to get teens to create educational games for younger grades. Would be a different type of volunteer project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it is sad. I think that's a great idea! Our seniors have to complete a senior project and for some of out more tech-savvy seniors, creating a cost-efficient, educational game or app would be perfect! :)

      Delete
  3. You brought up many good points in your blog, I never thought of the benefit with gaming of not “failing” in front of others. You are right with that though, because in the comfort of a person’s own place they can make mistakes and not feel embarrassed. It seems so often kids can be cruel to each other at times, so having the ability to make learning fun AND a little more private is a wonderful idea.
    I also find it unfortunate that cost could be a reason not to include gaming in education. I would hope that as more research is done showing how beneficial gaming can be to learning, that schools may be able to find a way to incur the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad that kids feel like they cannot voice their ideas or make mistakes because they're afraid of being embarrassed. That's something I always try to share with my students is even if they're completely wrong, I try to make them feel like their participation is appreciated and spin it in a positive way so no one can make them feel like a failure. That's what is good about games because even the weakest student can practice, participate and work hard to get better in that safe environment that many crave. :)

      Delete
  4. I am going to piggy back off of Gina's comment regarding "failing". Often middle school students are reluctant to engage in class because they are afraid to be wrong. I think you make some strong points regarding "failing and succeeding in a safe environment" that games provide. I use Socrative in class, and many students ask that I enable review games to prepare for assessments. Certain online game platforms not only serve as a study tool, but can also provide valuable feedback to both student and teacher. Web app resources like Socrative, Kahoot, and Quia have helped me be more efficient by grading game/activity/quiz questions. Which has helped me identify students who need help.

    Have you used games in your classroom? If so, any that you find worthwhile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used any of the games you've mentioned but I know many of my colleagues have. I have some experience with them and find them to be very beneficial. However, in my class, we don't have typical summative assessments; many of our assessments are projects so it's hard for me to incorporate them like my friends have. I have used some games (like the ones mentioned in my post) but to be honest, because I see my students so infrequently (two days out of a six day cycle) or for such a short period of time (only one marking period), there's so much to do that is really hard for me to incorporate games although I'm always open to anything! :)

      Delete
  5. Alyssa,
    You shared a lot of great points when considering to use video games in class. Like you, I also have a group of students this year who can be quite competitive. The only issue I have with some who are very competitive, is that they can sometimes "brag" about their winnings, or who they beat in class. This has required a gentle discussion about the appropriate use of video games in class and that having the opportunity to access video games is a privilege. It has also brought up the idea that using video games is for individual enhancement for personalized learning. After this discussion with my students, I have seen a lot less of the verbal comments about their winnings towards their classmates.
    Terra-Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you bring up a really good point about those super-competitive kids. That conversation that you mention is a GREAT talk not only for games but for life in general. I see that competition come out not only with games but things like grades too so I can see how the conversation you have with your students is relatable to different topics as well! :)

      Delete